EXPERIENCED digital health marketing leader combining 19 years of global executive-level digital health leadership with a Marketing MBA and hands-on software engineering. Specializing in innovation, transformation, implementation, and measurement of digital marketing strategies in the pharmaceutical industry.
VISIONARY LEADER focused on digital transformations and growth through process and platform optimization, digital partnerships, data-driven insights, and multi-channel strategies to build scalable solutions.
SKILLED COMMUNICATOR, speaker, blogger, and podcaster, leveraging deep knowledge of business, technology, and healthcare to bridge the communication gap between leading edge digital technologies and company needs.
RECENT PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
Melinta Therapeutics (January 2018 – Present)
A biopharmaceutical company specializing in infectious disease to meet the continually evolving threat of bacterial infections by developing, and commercializing a continual stream of novel antibiotics.
Senior Director, Medical Affairs Digital Strategy and Innovation
Focused on the optimization of resources through effective digital processes, platforms, and programs to understand both internal and external unmet needs and implement solutions.
- Optimize and automate work streams and process to build a high-performing, multi-faceted organization.
- Integrate data systems and set the organizational data vision for integration, consolidation, and reporting.
- Oversight of digital resources including web, mobile, Veeva, LMS, data, and analytics platforms.
- Digital strategies for Medical Affairs, Medical Information, and MSL enablement.
- Published thought leader, speaker, and podcaster focusing on digital health and martech.
The Medicines Company (March 2016 – January 2018)
A biopharmaceutical company specializing in infectious disease and cardiovascular treatments.
Senior Director, Content Engineering
Worked directly with the Infectious Disease brands and Medical Affairs team to build multi-channel insights, strategies, solutions, and reporting. Focused on digital partnerships, CRM and data solutions, websites and mobile apps, remote training, medical information, analytics, and customer-facing tools.
- Centralize data to create a CRM/marketing automation and unified multi-channel analytics platform.
- Architect and implement intelligent component content management system (CCMS) for content reuse.
- Leverage usability testing and analytics to build user journeys, experiences, and content mapping.
- Cultivate and manage partnerships, manage vendors, teams, and projects.
- Led cultural and procedural digital transformation aligned with legal and regulatory requirements.
Ogilvy CommonHealth Worldwide (March 2011 – March 2016)
Part of WPP Health, the largest global healthcare marketing and behavior change agency network.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Researched, recommended, and deployed technical and strategic teams that delivered innovative digital solutions for top pharmaceutical brands. Reduced friction and removed barriers across cross-functional units, technology partners, and technology suppliers to maximize business results while lowering costs.
- Founded and led the Digital Innovation Lab that incubated award-winning solutions for global brands.
- Championed and grew digital strategy and user experience specialties for strategic business advantages and cost savings.
- Built digital partnerships ranging from digital health startups to Google, Apple, and IBM Watson.
- Advised digital health startups through various incubators and shark tanks.
- Transformed the organization through digital processes, systems, and offerings.
- Evaluated build vs. buy vs. partner and led a multi-national technology services team to make it happen.
Successful projects include:
- Redefined the digital strategy and user experience rolls and incorporated into a new agency process
- Established global inter-agency partnerships to utilize multiple global resources and knowledge shares
- Launched the first iPad detail within J&J’s proprietary environment and assisted with the debugging and refining of the environment itself laying the foundation for digital detailing standards
- Launched global enterprise asset management portal for J&J which standardized brand communications generating significant savings in global asset development and deployment
- Became the preferred agency for all GSK US Pharma SKURA-based digital detail implementations on iPad
- Launched the first in-field Microsoft Kinect based convention application for Medtronic
- Created a Virtual Care Coach application and CRM campaign through Suboxone’s Here to Help program
- Lead and launched multiple education based gaming applications for BMS, J&J, and Medtronic
- Utilized social in pharmaceuticals for awareness and informational PR campaigns with J&J and BMS
- Launched an HCP focused patient communication tool dubbed Leaflet Builder for GSK
- Pioneered an internal digital communication project “wall” which was the centerpiece of Ogilvy CommonHealth’s Global Digital Summit
MRM Worldwide (March 2010 – March 2011)
Top 10 digital agency by size, focused on Customer Utility in digital relationship marketing.
VP, Director of Technology
Audit and refined digital processes and built a digital team while leading The Home Depot, one of the largest global retailers. Delivered CRM solutions for The Home Depot, IBM, BMS, US Army, Novartis, Diageo (Baileys, Smirnoff, Crown Royal), Novartis, and Janssen. Identified new technologies, vendors, and partnerships.
- Audited and refined digital processes to facilitate digital transformation and gain interoffice efficiencies.
- Identified and evaluated new technologies, vendors, and partnerships based in user-experience insights.
- On-boarded and led the digital services team for The Home Depot, one of the largest global retailers.
- Delivered CRM strategies and solutions for The Home Depot, IBM, BMS, US Army, Novartis, Diageo (Baileys, Smirnoff, Crown Royal), Novartis, and Janssen.
- Provided leadership and oversight of all development teams.
Successful projects include:
- Overseeing the marketing technology backbone and CRM wing of ETS for TOEFL, GRE, TOEIC, and Praxis through brand-based marketing websites, customized logic-based email and SMS campaigns, social sites, and international rich media
- Overhauling the new infrastructure and executing campaigns for Applebees.com including Veteran’s Day resulting in over 1 million meals served, 25k facebook likes (+10%), 1k twitter followers (+30%), a 215% increase in site visits and nearly 11k messages of thanks on the blog
- Rearchitected an advanced online search tool for Century21
- Developed mobile pharmaceutical iPhone application zAssistant and facebook page for Sunovion’s Lunesta
- Developing online marketing applications for pharmaceutical client BMS including myCMLcare.com, unbranded CML treatment companion, Faces of Orencia patient ambassador web overlay and RALivng.com and RealRALiving.com site refreshes
- Architected pharmaceutical security model for application development of both anonymous and non-anonymous data enabling multi-device support
- Overseeing the ongoing successful delivery of 10,000,000 emails weekly through third party email service provider (ESP) ExactTarget with CRM platform Epiphany integrated list generation
- Increased profitability and relevancy while lowering risk, overhead, and lifecycle duration through email build automation and intelligent vendor integration utilizing Ektron, ExactTarget, ShopLocal, and Amazon’s S3 hosting for millions of personalized emails weekly
- Re-launched The Home Deopt club site HomeDepotGardenClub.com in June 2010 utilizing Gigya Connect, Endeca, ShopLocal, Ip2Location, weather.com, and BrightCove web services increasing registration conversions by 25% and increasing referrals to HomeDepot.com
- Integrated social sign-on to The Home Depot club site HomeImproverClub.com in July 2010 utilizing Gigya Connect and BrightCove resulting in a 15% registration conversion increase
- Executed a HomeDepot.com home page take-over on Earth Day (their retail Christmas in the spring)
- Implemented the JIRA system for task and bug tracking consolidating information into one space reducing confusion, overhead, and risk
- Programmatically and procedurally streamlined the internal resourcing process across all departments
OTHER POSITIONS INCLUDE
Seraphim Internet Solutions, LLC (February 2002 – July 2012)
As an MBA and professional software engineer, I co-founded Seraphim to specialize in innovating demand generation, social media, and cloud technologies larger organizations were not agile enough to take on. Working with a variety of clients gave me the opportunity to expand into small business relationship management.
Successful projects include:
- Combining the services of Flickr, Google Checkout, Yahoo! Business, Google Analytics, and WordPress into a comprehensive and professional web portal for TwoRoads Studio photography
- Advising on the establishment of the online and new media presence of Daidone Fanelli Assocaiates, a member of the John Hancock financial network
- Establishing the online presence and photo gallery for Chrysaliz Design, LLC
- Promoting marketing and technical innovation through Seraphim’s Innovation Presentation™ series
- Helping companies go green and save money by promoting cloud technologies and virtualization
Euro RSCG Discovery (September 2002 – March 2010)
Senior Software Engineer
As a senior innovator, leader, mentor, and senior software engineer I worked hard to grow the organization and exceed the business needs of our clients by championing innovation and data-driven approaches to marketing as the Lead Engineer and Architect on multiple CRM suites servicing global clients IBM and Diageo among others.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Promoted an overall cutting edge corporate portfolio through innovative RFP solutions
- Championed innovation and new technology education through interactive presentations and mentoring
- Stayed abreast of innovations in marketing technology through formal education, an extensive book collection, and regular participation within top industry social media forums
Successful projects include:
- Managed Discovery’s Marketing Communication System (MCS) Relationship Marketing Suite (RMS) which extends the demand generation and direct marketing services into segment management and more granular individual prospect profile management
- Architected and lead the development team who built IBM’s Social Media Aggregator featured on site at IBM Impact 2010 and online at http://www-949.ibm.com/social/impact integrating twitter, blogs, flickr, youtube, and polldaddy
- Managed interactive global product launch website for New Balance with parallel and integrated microsites and user accounts (Club NB) having CRM components and a CMS backend
- Managed relationship management tools and reports for IBM DTC and B2B marketing on IBM VRM framework
- Managed interactive Diageo websites for Guinness 1759 society and Baileys US marketing campaigns
Simstar Internet Solutions (August 2001 – February 2002)
Associate Development Manager
As a team leader, resource manager, senior software engineer, and role model in the fast-paced restructuring and rapid growth of a major pharmaceutical Internet solutions company my primary responsibilities included client communication, requirements analysis, lead engineer and architect, mentor, and project manager.
Successful projects include:
- Successfully lead and launched initiatives for multi-national pharmaceutical clients: Wyeth-Ayerst, Novatis, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Snofi~Synthelab, Biomatrix, American Home Products, Pharmacia, and Bayer
- Conceptualized, designed, and built an internal custom time system saving an estimated $100k annually while streamlining the process and providing more accurate, real-time, budgeting, reporting, and error logging
- Technical liaison for both our clients and internal administration regarding technical infrastructure
November 1995 – March 2000
Senior Site Manager for four computing facilities on two Rutgers campuses. Responsible for hiring, training and supervision of 85 student computer aids, four senior aids, and four assistant site managers, in addition to founding and managing the computer repair team for the Rutgers, New Brunswick student computer labs, and responsibilities for all aspects of the facilities.
Successful projects include:
- Managed all aspects of facility and staff including resource allocation, reviews, and training
- Established, trained, and managed the computer repair team for the Rutgers, New Brunswick Campus
- Initiated a consistent orientation and training curriculum and designed a performance evaluation guide
- Initiated and administered web development and technical classes for campus organizations
- Innovated, designed and engineered a cross-campus, integrated, web based, tracking system which:
- Tracks and records employee records resulting in a uniform inter-campus file system
- Records supervisor work history and employee evaluations resulting in increased employee satisfaction
- Tracks problems resulting in greater facility uptime and quicker service turnaround
RECENT SPEAKING & PUBLISHING
As a digital leader specializing in innovation and user experiences I directly influence the causes, effects, and overall results of multi-channel decisions and, as an MBA and healthcare executive, I possess the knowledge and background to understand these decisions, analyze the results, and impart the resulting wisdom to others.
- Podcast & Blog
- Rx Digital Marketing (rxdigitalmarketing.com)
- Public Speaking
- Intelligent Content Conference (ICC), Las Vegas, NV
- 1st Annual Enterprise Marketer Poker Game, Las Vegas NV
- 5th Content Marketing for Life Sciences, Philadelphia, PA
- Clinical Trials & IOT Forum, Cambridge, MA
- Digital Pharma East, Philadelphia, PA
HANDS-ON TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE
Maker: Makerbot Replicator 2x, Makerbot Replicator, Ultimaker 2, Makerware, Cura, Arduino
Mobile: xCode, Objective-C, Java, ADT, Google Glass, PhoneGap, iOS, Android
Frontend: Bootstrap, jQuery, xml, xsl, xpath, CSS, HTML
Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Unix, iOS, Android
Databases: MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase
Services: Apache, CQ 5.5, Microsoft IIS, Tomcat, JBoss, WordPress, Drupal, Squid
Business Applications: Microsoft Project, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office
Technical Project Management: Applications of Web 2.0 to Marketing & Consumer Intimacy, SOA, Requirements analysis, SDLC, project estimation, budget management, client & resource management, team leadership, interviewing & hiring, Internet application architecture, General Server Management & Security, UI & Web Usability
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
MBA, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Silberman College of Business
Jan 2006 – Nov 2008
The AACSB internationally accredited Silberman College of Business is nationally ranked Top 20 by The Princeton Review and Entrepreneur Magazine, and honored in Princeton Review’s 2007 edition of Best Business Schools.
- MBA with concentrations in Marketing and Entrepreneurship (3.93 gpa)
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society
BS, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Cook College
Sept 1995 – Jan 2000
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
- Minor, Environmental Business Economics
Harvard University, HarvardX Professional Certificate in Data Science
- Data Science: R Basics
- Data Science: Visualization
Wharton Online Digital Marketing Professional Certificate Program
- Marketing Analytics: Data Tools and Techniques
- Selling Ideas: How to Influence others and Get Your Message to Catch On
MIT Professional Education Digital Programs
- Internet of Things: Roadmap to a Connected World
Stone River eLearning
- Health IT Security Proficiency (CHITSP)
Google Glass Explorer Program
- Google Glass Explorer
- iPhone and Android Developer
Enterprise JavaBeans and J2EE training certification, Hands On Technology Transfer, Inc (HOTT)
Adobe CQ5.5 Training, part of the Adobe Online Marketing Suite
Jan 2013 – Feb 2013
- Adobe CQ 5.5 Developer Training
- Adobe CQ 5.5 Advanced Developer Training
Nitrox and semi-closed circuit rebreather certified dive master in training scuba diver, Rutgers SCUBA club, guitarist, drummer, recording technician, paintball player, volleyball player, fresh and salt water fisherman, water and snow skier, tennis player, road cyclist. I also host, administer and develop my personal web site initiatives and local network.